LOG3103 Logistics in operations
The course focuses on logistics in the present and logistics planning in the shorter and longer term. The exercise of logistical support to military operations nationally and internationally. Focus is on the entirety for logistics, and how work is done for good readiness with varying readiness times. The course seeks to contextualise revised theory in an operational context. The course includes a trip around central units in the Armed Forces, including NLOGS, FOH and other tactical units, to gain insight into the practical execution of operations and support of operations at several levels.
After completion of the course, the cadet is able to:
- Describe and account for operative logistics, as well as fundamental constraints in the planning and decision making process, and factors that contribute to the increased operative ability of the Armed Forces’ units.
- Explain logistics in the range from stationary to strengthening and organic level.
- Explain principles for readiness and how readiness may be achieved.
- Discuss logistics in a crisis response perspective.
- Describe the disciplines history, traditions, distinctive character and place in the Armed Forces.
- Account for the country’s total defence concept, including readiness system and plans.
- Discuss the Norwegian National Host Country Support concept in the context of the total defence, and how it is connected to civilian-military cooperation.
- Describe and contextualise principles and concepts for implementing logistics nationally and internationally, also in UN and NATO contexts.
After completion of the course, the cadets can:
- Apply professional knowledge and relevant information in a planning group as logistics officer in the Armed Forces at a tactical level
- Account for the steps in operative planning at an operational and tactical level with particular focus on the logistics assessment
- Account for the key issues in logistics in operations and the discipline’s significance for military decisions
- Use professional tools and forms of expression in their appropriate context.
- Contribute to safeguard the planning and decision-making process at a tactical level, with emphasis on the role of logistics.
After completion of the course, the cadets can:
- Apply principles for logistics support to the Armed Forces’ operative units in peace, crisis and war domestically and in foreign operations.
The course will have a practice component where visits to units that work with the subject’s problems are likely.
Examination is carried out according to the Regulations for Admission, Studies and Examinations (in Norwegian, “Forskrift om opptak, studier og eksamen”) at the Norwegian Defence University College.
Logistikkens rolle i operativ planprosess.
Logistikkens rolle i militære operasjoner.
Logistikken som muliggjører og begrensende faktor.
Totalforsvarskonseptet, relevante aktører og praktisk utførelse
Beredskap for militære operasjoner, ansvar, myndighet, styrende dokumenter og praksis.
Smith, J. C. D. (2018) Planning and executing defence operational logistics. Kapittel 9 i, Smith, J. C. D. (ed) (2018) Defence logistics - enabling and sustaining successful military operations. Kogan Page Limited
Antil, P., D. (2018) Defence logistics and crisis response. Kapittel 15 i, Smith, J. C. D. (ed) (2018) Defence logistics - enabling and sustaining successful military operations. Kogan Page Limited
Håkenstad, M. (2019) Den væpnede dugnaden - totalforsvaret under den kalde krigen. Kapittel 2 i, Norheim-Martinsen, P., M. (red.) (2019) Det nye totalforsvaret. Oslo. Gyldendal Juridisk
Thomstad, A., B. (2019) Totalforsvaret i et militært perspektiv. Kapittel 3 i, Norheim-Martinsen, P., M. (red.) (2019) Det nye totalforsvaret. Oslo. Gyldendal Juridisk
Bjerga, K., I. (2019) Forsvarets bistand til politiet. Kapittel 5 i, Norheim-Martinsen, P., M. (red.) (2019) Det nye totalforsvaret. Oslo. Gyldendal Juridisk
Listou, T., (2019) Totalforsvaret og kommersielle aktører - den doble logistikkutfordringen. Kapittel 6 i, Norheim-Martinsen, P., M. (red.) (2019) Det nye totalforsvaret. Oslo. Gyldendal Juridisk
Regjeringen (2018) Støtte og samarbeid, beskrivelse av totalforsvarskonseptet i dag. https://www.regjeringen.no/contentassets/5a9bd774183b4d548e33da101e7f7d4...
Kilder tilgjengelig via FOBID (Forsvarets intranett):
Direktiv for operativ krav.
Direktiv for styrkeoppbygging.
Direktiv for logistikkvirksomheten i Forsvaret
Direktiv for vertslandsstøtte
Konsept for logistikk i Forsvaret.
Konsept for logistikk til landstyrkene
Konsept for logistikk i Sjøforsvaret
Forsvarets Fellesoperative doktrine. - Kapittel 1-3
Stabshåndbok i Plan- og beslutningsprosessen for den enkelte Forsvarsgren
TAMP - Taktisk Maritim Planlegging - metode for planlegging av operasjoner
NATO dokumenter/ publikasjoner:
MC 319/2 NATO principles and policies for logistics
MC 55/4 NATO Logistics readiness and sustainability policy
AJP 4 B Allied doctrine for logistics
AJP-4.4 Movement and Transportation Doctrine
AJP-4.5 Doctrine for Host Nation Support
AJP-4.6 Doctrine JLSG
BI-SC Capability Codes and Capability statements
ALP 4.1 NATO Multinational Maritime Force Logistics
ALP 4.2 NATO Land Forces Logistic Doctrine
ALP 4.3 NATO Air Forces Logistic Doctrine and Procedure
NATO Logistic handbook
Listou, T. (2011) Supply Chain Design for preparedness - doktorgradsavhandling, Universitetet i Lund
|Form of assessment||Grouping||Duration||Type of duration||Grading scale||Proportion||Oral examination||Comment||Supported materials|
|Form of assessment:||Fordypningsoppgave|
|Type of duration:||Week(s)|
|Oral examination:||Not required|