This is a military supplementary education for those who already have completed a civilian education at a Bachelor or Master level. The education extends your civilian expertise and qualifies you to work as an officer in the Armed Forces in your field. You are given a free education, food and lodging for the entire study, and after graduation you are guaranteed permanent employment in the Armed Forces.
Study modesFull time
Application date15. April 2020
On completed and passed GOP, cadets will have basic knowledge of and be able to update their knowledge of:
- strengths and weaknesses of the utilisation of military power in a historical and contemporary perspective, including how the development of the nature and essence of war affects the military profession and military operations in the present and future
- principles of military leadership at the individual, group/team and organisational levels
- the officer's ethical and legal freedoms to act.
- the role of the military forces within society and explaining how political objectives are achieved by military means.
- Norwegian security and defence policy as a framework for Norway's use of military power, including international institutional frameworks.
- key themes and problems within military theory, with a specialisation in theory relevant to their own area of expertise.
- scientific theory and methodology, the Armed Forces’ service personnel in war and peace and be able to identify the strengths and weaknesses of these.
- which structures and units the Armed Forces is composed of and which main tasks these have
After a completed and passed GOP, the candidates shall be able to at a basic level
- apply theoretical and practical leadership tools independently, as well as exercise judgement within your subject field, through the leadership and execution of missions, whether alone or as part of a group.
- assess tactical and technical combat assignments and missions in their field in the context of conditions such as strategy, politics, culture, operation, legal frameworks and ethics.
- lead and carry out skills development within their field at a team or troop level.
- write reports on relevant issues in the military profession in keeping with scientific methodology.
After a completed and passed GOP, the cadets shall at a basic level be capable of:
- understanding the values, ethics and legal foundations upon which the Norwegian Armed Forces are founded.
- identify with the military profession and the responsibility officers have.
- exercise their leadership and service according to the values, ethics and legal foundations of the Norwegian Armed Forces, and live according to these principles.
- think critically and exchange opinions with both superiors and subordinates and, by dint of this, contribute to the development and improvement of the Norwegian Armed Forces.